Saturday, April 27, 2019

Home Sweet Snowy Home

It is April 27th and it is snowing...again.

This has been a Minnesota winter only a polar bear would appreciate. Our school district had 10 snow days this winter - 10 of them! We've experienced record setting cold, followed by record setting snow. In fact, after today's snow, we will likely break the seasonal snowfall record.

Last Saturday, we finally opened up the backyard fire pit. It was a glorious Easter weekend with temperatures in the 80's. We spent every moment possible outside, letting the cold and gloom of the last several months fade away from our memory, focusing just on the pleasures of warm weather.

Fast forward to today and the winter coats are out again.

This story may sound like a rant, a shaking of my fist at Mother Nature and her cruel intentions.  But surprisingly, it is something else.

This morning, while the big flakes started falling, Bereket and I snuggled for hours under a pile of blankets watching a Hallmark movie. We had nowhere to be, there was no rush to start the laundry. My only need to get up from the couch was to warm my coffee.

We had plans to go to the movie theater and make a quick run to Trader Joe's. I thought, "time to start the day" as I finally made my way to the workout room, leaving Bereket with a list of chores to do while I was in the basement. She found me 45 minutes later, 3 pages of construction paper in her hands and exclaimed,  "I have a surprise for you!"

I knew this surprise meant that she hadn't touched the laundry in the basket upstairs (despite overhearing her ask Alexa to play "laundry folding songs").

But when I stopped what I was doing to focus on what she had written, I discovered the most beautiful treasures.
I was speechless for a moment, and then I reached out to hug her. "Gross, Mom! You're all sweaty from exercising! Oh, and you better not throw these away!" I promised her I never would.

Bereket's snow day creativity was just getting started. She decided that Jason and I needed a spa day. She had Alexa play relaxing piano music as she gave her daddy a foot massage and a "man's" manicure. She then gave me a mini facial and painted my nails. After our "treatments", Bereket turned out the light so we could nap in our relaxed state of being (two hours later, Jason's nap is still going strong).

Rather than get ready to go out into the cold and a crowded theater (Avengers End Game just came out), I suggested we end our day like we started it, cuddling on the couch. I would make spaghetti. Bereket said that sounded good to her.

While I am writing this, Bereket has loudly rejected her pasta, proclaiming she will not eat another bite after finding a mushroom in the sauce.  Jason will also be disappointed when he sees the sauce has no meat in it.  But that's how families roll even on the best of days. And since I'm certain this will be the final snow day of the season,  I'm ready to find another sappy Hallmark show to watch with my girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment