Sunday, March 9, 2014

Never Stop Reaching

This morning we went to a birthday party at our church in Lanesboro.  It is an annual event where the congregation celebrates everyone's birthday in one big party.  There was yummy food, cupcakes, games and of course balloons.
Can you find Cousin Daniel?!
All the kids got a brightly colored balloon to take home and Bereket was beyond excited about her new helium-filled treasure. (It was the first thing she showed her special neighborhood friend when he came over to play this afternoon. "Mommy, play some music so we can dance with my balloon!")

Within moments of getting home, her new prize floated up to the ceiling of our living room.  "I will get it!" my determined almost 4-year-old proclaimed as she pushed a chair from the kitchen table onto the carpet.

"Oh, that is too high for you." I said. "Mommy will get it." As soon as the words came out of my mouth, the tears began to roll. My determined, strong-willed child wanted to try to get it down herself.

I moved the chair under the balloon and smiled as she tried with all her might to get it down.  I got my phone out and snapped a photo.

"I can get it!"
Later, as I looked through the photos from the birthday party, my eyes rested on that shot. I couldn't help thinking, "You go girl!" Why did I try to stop you?

I have a very determined, strong-willed child.  She is beautiful and tall and fast and funny and a lot of other wonderful things.  With her determination, she can accomplish great things in this life.   My prayer is that I will not be one to limit her...but rather that I will encourage her to run like crazy after the dreams God places in her heart.

Keep dreaming, Miss B. Don't ever stop!
Sweet dreams, sweet girl!

And this photo really has little to do with anything in this story. I thought she just looked so darn cute while washing her hands before she ate the leftover cupcakes we took home from the birthday party!
This smile could melt a snowbank!

No comments:

Post a Comment