Thursday, February 13, 2014

The Sweetest Valentine

The best gift I ever got for Valentines Day was a heart-shaped box of chocolates. I guess my sister and I were pretty special, because we got this gift from our father every singe year.  From when we were young girls to when we were in college, my dad gave each of us a large box of wonderful Brach's chocolates.  It was such a treasured gift. The memories I have of getting that box at the breakfast table each February 14th are truly the sweetest from childhood.
My sister and I would run to the kitchen drawer and grab a knife.  We would cut into each piece of chocolate until we found the caramel ones (usually they were the squares).  We would eat those first.  Then my sister would go for the coconut ones.  I didn't like coconut, so I would trade her mine for something more appealing in her box.  The boxes would last for a few days until just the cut-up pieces of our least favorite chocolates remained.

Today Bereket got a special package from Papa in the mail. It was a heart-shaped box of chocolates! Just a little smaller than the kind my sister and I got as kids.

Friday marks our third Valentine's Day with Bereket. While she doesn't yet know who Cupid is, she is starting to grasp the idea of "Valentines" and the special treats that come with them.

On Sunday, Jason's parents came for an early Valentine's visit.  It was so much fun!  After eating pizza for lunch, we had a special Red Velvet cake with a heart design on heart plates.
Then Jason's dad helped Bereket "decorate" for the big day.
Finally Bereket got to open some special Valentine's Day gifts.  She looks sooo cute in this little sweater.
It was a day filled with laughs and hugs.
We've also been busy filling out princess Valentine cards with castle-shaped suckers.  Bereket put a lot of thought into each friend and if that friend should get Belle, Cinderella or Ariel. 

We've had fun mailing the Valentines to special friends and cousins and delivering them to friends in our neighborhood.

I'm not sure what our family Valentine's traditions will grow to be.  Maybe each year will be a little different.

What I do know is that my parents set a great example of what it is to grow up in a home where you know you are loved on Valentine's Day and every day.  This year cupid made a special delivery of a bright red Kurig and some gourmet coffee to my mom.  It was to say thank-you and I love you. Mom, I hope you know just how special you are as you enjoy your morning coffee.
From Our House to Yours, Happy Valentine's Day!





No comments:

Post a Comment