Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Renewing Our Spirit on the North Shore

Jason, Bereket and I recently returned from 5 nights on the North Shore.  It was a beautiful escape and I am so thankful for this much needed time away as a family.

Over the summer, I had let myself get rundown. My tank was beyond empty.  We were on the go too much. Every weekend there were two or three commitments. I couldn't re-charge for the next big week ahead. Adding to my fatigue, little B. decided to drop the afternoon nap we both needed. Daddy found himself coming home every night to an overly tired toddler and a bit of a cranky wife.  We needed to get away from it all...and there's no better way to do that than to pitch a tent at a Minnesota State Park!  But first, Momma needed to gather up all the food and clothes for our big camping adventure...and that's a lot of stuff!

"Mommy, if you pack anymore camping supplies, there won't be any room for you!"

Our first night of "camping" was at the Radisson in Duluth.  We had so much fun exploring the urban beauty of Canal Park. 

Then we continued our drive up to Split Rock Lighthouse State Park. Bereket was so excited to help cart all of our gear into site #4. 

Just a day or two into our trip, I started to get the little feeling I often get on an incredible trip: the sense that something very special is happening and I need to pay attention because I will miss these days when they have passed.  I tried to focus on every little blessing...burning them into my memory.

I loved singing Bereket to sleep in front of the campfire.  I loved waking up with her little face right next to mine in the tent.



I loved spending hours as a family perched on our amazing cliff-side campsite right on Lake Superior. I loved walking on the shore and watching Jason teaching Bereket how to skip stones on the water.




I also let myself get lost in my child's growing beauty.  I think she gets more lovely every day. Even when she is wearing daddy's hat and glasses or eating raspberry pie filling straight from the can in her Santa pajamas.



This was the first time just the three of us had really unplugged from the rest of the world since we were in Ethiopia bringing Bereket home.  That was almost a year ago.  I realize now we need to take this precious time away together much more often.


On our final evening, I spent a little time on the shore by myself. I listened to the waves and took in all the beauty.  I felt at peace.  I looked to the sky and said, "Thank you God for helping me get back in sync.  I am good now."  Then I walked back to my family to help get dinner ready.

My sleepy hiker: one of the many sweet moments I am so thankful for.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, what a beautiful camping area! We might have to make a trip up to Minnesota.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great memories Jess. I really think there is no better place on earth! Cleanest air I have ever breathed. I love the sound of the waves too. Bereket is growing so fast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like you guys had a great time! There is just something about the north shore that is so re-charging. That is the perfect place for a family get-away!

    ReplyDelete