Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Toloshi

Now that Jason, Bereket and I have settled into life as a family, it seems like its time to give back. We aren't making big payments to an adoption agency or purchasing expensive plane tickets to Africa, so I've been keeping my eye open for the right opportunity to do something meaningful. Last week, my heart melted the second I saw Toloshi's beautiful face.



My friend Paula (an incredible advocate for orphans and the mother of three beautiful children from Ethiopia) shared Toloshi's picture on facebook via Rivers of Living Water Ministries. Toloshi's sponsor could no longer afford to help her and she needed a new one. There was something so special about this beautiful girl, I immediately contacted Bonnie, the organization's founder.  She told me all about this sweet 7-year-old child. She told me how our sponsorship dollars will help provide her a brighter future through food, clothing, a school uniform (you aren't allowed to attend school without one), school supplies, Vacation Bible School and the assistance of two social workers.

Could we visit her?  Yes! We simply have to find our way to her village of Gojjo (2 hours west and one hour north of Addis Ababa..two hours on a paved road and then an hour on a rocky, primitive road through forest and jungle). We can stay in the village guest house for $10 a night.

Could we send her a care package? Yes! Bonnie was leaving for Ethiopia in two weeks. If we sent her something to her Montana home in the next few days, she would gladly take it to Toloshi.

When Jason got home from work, I showed him Toloshi's picture and told him all about the ways we could help her.  I told him how I loved that Rivers of Living Water was a small organization with very little overhead. We could feel good that our dollars were going right where they were needed. Jason agreed and within a matter of just a few hours, we had a new sponsor child!

Bereket and I rushed off to the store to try to find some fun things for Toloshi's care package. The shopping was fun but challenging because all of the items had to fit in a one-gallon size plastic bag and it could weigh no more than two pounds. I can't wait until we can bring her an entire suitcase filled with wonderful things!



I also sent Toloshi a picture of us and wrote a card saying how excited are to be her new sponsor family.



I know Toloshi has experienced a lifetime of heartbreak in her young life. I think of her every day and can not wait to go visit her. I pray that this sponsorship will bless her..and lead her to a happier future one day.




No comments:

Post a Comment