Saturday, November 14, 2015

When Our World Has Gone Crazy

It is not yet 6 a.m.  Bereket is still snuggled in bed, no doubt dreaming of the big day ahead of us.  At her request, we are driving to the Minneapolis airport to pick up Jason from his business trip to the Netherlands.  She is like her momma in so many ways and loves to be at the airport with so many people coming and going...even if it is not our turn to experience something new.

Last night, like most of the world, I was shocked, saddened and angered by the news of a major terrorist attack in Paris. It took more than a hundred lives and was carefully orchestrated at multiple, busy locations.  People were out to enjoy a soccer game or concert. They did not know these few hours of living would be their last.

I can't speak a word of French and I get terribly confused whenever I study a map of the Paris Metro, but I love that city.  I have experienced it in the bright lights of Christmastime, the cool dampness of April and the blissful sunshine of June.  This summer, on my third trip to Paris, I really fell in love with it. I wanted to spend hours smelling the beautiful flowers that spilled out of the shops into the street.
I didn't want to get up from my cup of cup of coffee at an outdoor café taking in the beautiful people and buildings around me.
I love this city.

Just a couple of weeks ago, a Russian plane suddenly crashed near the Red Sea resort of Sharm el-Sheikh. 224 people were killed. Investigations point to a possible bomb that could have been planted by an employee of the Sharm el-Sheikh airport.  About a decade ago, Jason and I flew through that airport during our travels around Egypt. While experiencing the thrill of camping in the Sinai Desert and snorkeling at the Blue Hole in the Red Sea, we also felt the scare of a bomb going off in a nightclub there, just hours after we had walked by it on the street.  These attacks made the Egyptians we met so angry. They want tourists will come visit their treasures to strengthen their economy. Plus, they are simply proud of their country, and want others to experience its beauty. They would say to us, "Please, tell your friends to come visit. They are welcome here."

Bereket, one day you will read these stories. I want you to know your momma is part nomad...always looking for the next great place to visit and experience...a place even more unique and interesting than the last.  I think you already have a similar spirit of exploration growing in you.  Don't be afraid of the bad guys. Don't let them win.  This is an amazing, beautiful world. Go see all of it you can.  My spirit will be with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment